Would you like to support people living with dementia? Do you have an enthusiasm for an active lifestyle and helping others to continue theirs? Do you live in or near Bridgend? If yes then this may be the role for you!
Why we need you!
The Dementia Friendly Swimming sessions are about making the swimming experience better for people with dementia and their carers by and providing a safe, supportive environment and taking away barriers, emphasising that there is still life beyond a diagnosis of dementia. One such barrier could be where people living with dementia may not have someone to support them in the pool. Halo Leisure has helped to overcome this by ensuring that there is an instructor on hand in our dedicated Dementia friendly sessions, but you could assist the instructor to enable more people to enjoy the swimming sessions.
The voluntary role focuses on supporting swimmers in the pool, giving reassurance, and helping to make the activity safe & enjoyable.
As a volunteer you will enjoy working with people, many of whom will be older people and be keen to alleviate any isolation and stress people affected by dementia may be experiencing, increasing confidence and providing reassurance.
How much time should you offer? When would you be needed? Where will you be based?
Ideally able to commit for a year initially, but we understand that this may not always be possible. This role will involve between 1 & 2.5 hours a week on a Wednesday afternoon (during school term times only). This role is based in the Bridgend Life Centre.
What activities will you be involved in?
- Supporting people living with dementia in the pool, by relaying the activities given by the lead instructor, or by helping them to enjoy taking part at their own pace.
- Supporting people with dementia who may have reduced mobility to get in, out, or around the pool.
What can you gain from this opportunity?
- comprehensive training programme
- ongoing mentoring support and supervision from an experienced member of Halo’s staff.
- making a difference to people affected by dementia
- reimbursement of out of pocket expenses
- Complimentary membership of Halo facilities during the duration of the placement
- Development of your skills and experience in a rapidly developing field, thereby enhancing your employment prospects.
Is there an induction and training?
- You will receive a full induction before you start and be given training including through the Alzheimer's Society Dementia Friends programme.
What are we looking for?
- Friendly and helpful approach with good people skills. You do not need to have experience or qualifications in swimming instruction, just enjoy working with people, many of who will be older people.
- Good communication skills
- Ability to keep within boundaries of the role with regards to friendship or giving advice.
- Ideally able to commit for a year initially. This role will involve a Wednesday afternoon.
- Can travel to & from Bridgend Life Centre either by public transport or car.
- Due to the nature of this role volunteers will be required to complete a DBS form and provide referees.
Who should you contact?
To find out more information or apply please contact Ryan Statton (Active Communities)
For information on the dementia friendly swimming sessions click here
Contact details 01656 678847 or email firstname.lastname@example.org